Subject: 28.0.50; Native-compiled files of some preloaded files not loaded at dump time
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 10:20:33 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Something strange is going on on this GNU/Linux system, unlike other
systems where I build Emacs with native-compilation: when dumping,
some of the preloaded files seem to be loaded in their byte-compiled
form, not native-compiled form.  The files are the ones loaded at the
very beginning of 'loadup':

  Loading emacs-lisp/byte-run...
  Loading emacs-lisp/backquote...
  Loading subr...
  Loading version...
  Loading widget...
  Loading custom...
  Loading emacs-lisp/map-ynp...
  Loading international/mule...
  Loading international/mule-conf...
  Loading env...
  Loading format...
  Loading bindings...
  Loading window...
  Loading files...

All the preloaded files after these ones are loaded as native-compiled
Lisp, as expected.

I forced native compilation of the offending files, and verified the
corresponding *.eln files are refreshed in the native-lisp directory,
but the problem persists.

Why does this happen, and how do I fix it?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2021-05-22 built on fencepost.gnu.org
Repository revision: a3de48687eb28121f3dbfc20be19bd06c4cd6e98
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no --with-jpeg=no
 --with-xpm=ifavailable --with-modules --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --with-native-compilation 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq
cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80499 8044)
 (symbols 48 7882 1)
 (strings 32 21664 3880)
 (string-bytes 1 739515)
 (vectors 16 14774)
 (vector-slots 8 245438 10812)
 (floats 8 29 316)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 992 11))