Subject: autocompletion broken
From: Angelo Borsotti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:36:02 +0100

To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.1.50; open file autocompletion missing
From: angelo
<[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing
list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Run Emacs, select File->Open File, and type the first characters
of an existing file. The autocompletion feature does not display
the files whose name starts with the introduced characters.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
 of 2009-09-27 on palmer, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20090909-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host'
'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000
-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <kp-delete>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-right> <f12> <kp-right> <f12> <kp-left> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> / * <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
<kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert> <kp-insert>
* / <return> <f12> <kp-right> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1>
<double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-3> <mouse-3> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-2>
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <save-buffer>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <kp-insert> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-5>
<mouse-5> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<f12> <kp-space> <f12> <kp-multiply> b a d SPC e <backspace>
a d d <kp-left> <help-echo> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<f12> <kp-left> <help-echo> <help-echo> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <f12> <kp-insert> p r
i n t f ( " 5 d <backspace> <backspace> % d \ n " ,
E F A U L T ) ; <help-echo> <tool-bar> <save-buffer>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <kp-insert> <up>
<kp-subtract> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <tool-bar> <new-file> M-x r e p o <tab>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-2>

Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Selected text CUT to kill ring
Mark set
Saving file /media/Volume/corso/signals.c...
Wrote /media/Volume/corso/signals.c
Saving file /media/Volume/corso/signals.c...
Wrote /media/Volume/corso/signals.c
Auto-saving...done
Quit
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup