Subject: 28.0.50; Tramp error: cannot determine gio monitor
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:58:24 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When adding a file-notify watcher to a remote directory in helm-find-files, I
have an error "cannot determine gio monitor":

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot determine gio monitor")
  signal(file-error ("Cannot determine gio monitor"))
  tramp-sh-gio-monitor-process-filter(#<process gio> "\n(gio monitor:15942): GLib-GIO-\33[1;33mWARNING\33[0m ...")
  [...]

This doesn't happen in emacs-27.2.
It happens in emacs-28 compiled with native-comp or not.

which gio returns /usr/bin/gio.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2021-04-27 built on IPadS340
Repository revision: 6fb80c9ad80bfc0db18285d6e23c3ee08e2aa657
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Linux Mint 19.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Elisp

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/straight/build/transient/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap helm-ring emacsbug help-fns cl-print debug
epa-file cus-start helm-command w3m-form w3m-symbol w3m timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image tab-line
w3m-proc w3m-util qp sort gnus-cite mm-archive smiley mail-extr
helm-firefox helm-addressbook helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark
smerge-mode view org-agenda org-refile org-element avl-tree generator
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe ol-docview
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m addressbook-bookmark mu4e-config
org-mu4e mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util bookmark mu4e mu4e-org
mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader mu4e-view-common mu4e-headers
mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail
sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view image-mode exif
mu4e-lists mu4e-message shr kinsoku svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-vars
message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-meta
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf dbus flymake-proc flymake
sh-script smie executable jka-compr vc-rcs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs conf-mode
bug-reference naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs
tv-utils undo-tree diff undo-tree-autoloads ligature ligature-autoloads
boxquote rect rainbow-mode-autoloads psession frameset wgrep-helm wgrep
grep compile text-property-search wgrep-autoloads log-view pcvs-util
pcmpl-git pcmpl-git-autoloads toc-org-autoloads cl-indent ffap
markdown-toc-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads autocrypt ietf-drums
config-w3m w3m-autoloads git-gutter git-gutter-autoloads mule-util appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs gud anaconda-mode xref project pythonic f dash
s anaconda-mode-autoloads pythonic-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads
emamux-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads dash-autoloads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu iterator iedit-autoloads
ledger-mode-autoloads wdired dired-extension org-config ob-gnuplot
org-crypt net-utils time all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons all-the-icons-autoloads winner w3m-wget wget
wget-sysdep autotest-mode autoconf-mode paren woman man ediff ediff-merg
ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util
init-helm helm-fd epa derived epg epg-config helm-epa helm-misc
helm-imenu imenu helm-elisp-package package url-handlers helm-find
helm-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap isearch-light helm-descbinds
helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher helm-ipython helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug backtrace find-func helm-info python tramp-sh
use-package-bind-key bind-key popup helm-adaptive diminish helm-mode
helm-files filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp auth-source password-cache json map
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types use-package-diminish
cus-edit pp wid-edit helm-extensions-autoloads helm-config
helm-autoloads helm async-bytecomp helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu
helm-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs helm-multi-match helm-lib
dired-async advice dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs async emms-autoloads
finder-inf use-package-core popup-autoloads diminish-autoloads mb-depth
server edmacro kmacro avoid cus-load use-package-autoloads
bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads comp comp-cstr warnings rx
cl-extra straight info autoload radix-tree seq easy-mmode pcase cl-seq
subr-x byte-opt checkdoc lisp-mnt thingatpt help-mode cl-macs gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 849478 250397)
 (symbols 48 45932 13)
 (strings 32 196999 46909)
 (string-bytes 1 6772063)
 (vectors 16 92466)
 (vector-slots 8 2285295 303392)
 (floats 8 2023 3104)
 (intervals 56 20423 4877)
 (buffers 992 125))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry