Subject: aclocal fails with "error: too many loops"
From: Eric Gallager <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:10:41 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, I have recently been trying to update my fork of the
magicseteditor project, which can be found here:
https://github.com/cooljeanius/magicseteditor
At first, autoconf told me:
configure.ac:109: warning: AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X is obsolete; use
AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 instead
...so I followed its recommendation and updated
AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X to AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11, and
AX_CXX_HEADER_STDCXX_0X to AX_CXX_HEADER_STDCXX_11, and once I had
done that, it failed with this message instead:
$ autoreconf -fvi -Wall
autoreconf: export WARNINGS=all
autoreconf: Entering directory '.'
autoreconf: running: autopoint --force
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4 --install
aclocal: installing 'm4/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.m4' from
'/opt/local/share/aclocal/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.m4'
aclocal: installing 'm4/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx_11.m4' from
'/opt/local/share/aclocal/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx_11.m4'
aclocal: installing 'm4/ax_require_defined.m4' from
'/opt/local/share/aclocal/ax_require_defined.m4'
aclocal: error: too many loops
aclocal: Please contact <[email-masked]>.
 at /opt/local/share/automake-1.16/Automake/Channels.pm line 655.
    Automake::Channels::msg("automake", "", "too many loops") called
at /opt/local/share/automake-1.16/Automake/ChannelDefs.pm line 226
    Automake::ChannelDefs::prog_error("too many loops") called at
/opt/local/bin/aclocal line 1187
autoreconf: error: aclocal failed with exit status: 255
$

Since it said to report this here, that is what I am doing. I am using
automake 1.16.3 as installed by MacPorts. Any idea what's going on?
Thanks,
Eric Gallager