Subject: 23.1; `multi-isearch-(files|buffers)(-regexp)'
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:27:56 -0700

1. The doc strings of `multi-isearch-files(-regexp)' need to say that
each of the FILES elements must be an absolute file name. I was trying
to make it work with relative names, and I wasted a lot of time
debugging. It was only when the debugger finally got to comparing
`buffer-file-name' with the FILES element that I saw the problem.
 
2. Why not let these functions accept either absolute or relative file
names?  If relative, they should be interpreted relative to
`default-directory'.
 
3. Similarly, for `multi-isearch-buffers(-regexp)': 
 
a. The doc strings need to say explicitly that the BUFFERS must be
live buffers, not their names.
 
b. Why should the BUFFERS need to be buffers - why not also allow
buffer names?
 
The code is unnecessarily restrictive/brittle.

 

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'