Subject: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 19:57:09 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The major-mode in the minibuffer is incorrectly set to fundamental-mode, even when it is the first one.  Reproduce with the following steps:

1. emacs -q
2. Eval the following:

(defun report-major-mode ()
  (message "mini-buffer major-mode is %s" major-mode))
(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'report-major-mode)

3. Press M-; to call eval-expression, which will report that the major-mode is fundamental-mode

The offending commit is 636ef445af.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.26, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-03-12 built on Desktop
Repository revision: 592fabdc7f8d9c52c931843a153fdac67a302c30
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --without-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2
 -pipe -fno-plt -g -fuse-ld=gold' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM XWIDGETS GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils china-util
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 86740 7633)
 (symbols 48 7951 1)
 (strings 32 21797 2724)
 (string-bytes 1 749467)
 (vectors 16 16994)
 (vector-slots 8 376872 18158)
 (floats 8 31 79)
 (intervals 56 277 0)
 (buffers 992 14))