Subject: 28.0.50; Gnus: mairix doesn't work anymore
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 05:50:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

this is probably a member of one class of my repeated Gnus bug reports
about one and the same thing that breaks and breaks again.

Some years ago I had setup nnmairix for Gnus to be able to search
mails.  It was hard.

It worked for some months.  Since then, every single time when I tried to
use it, it was broken, and needed manual intervention to fix.  Most of
the time, I had to repeat the setup, and that worked.

Now, I tried several hours to get it work, but failed, no chance
whatever I tried.  I see that mairix works fine in the background, but
Gnus doesn't.  I only get empty or inaccessible groups corresponding to
the search.  Recreating or editing the related nnml group(s) doesn't
help.  Gnus doesn't let me edit the nnmairix server definition, it says
I had to do it "in my configuration".  I have no clue in which.  I don't
create that server in my normal setup.

.newsrc.eld maybe?  Thanks to the overlong lines, Emacs is not even able
to edit that file.  I could try longlines or so, but I gave up for now,
since I don't even know if it is the right file and what I should try.

Is anybody using this?  Should be a common task to search mails in
Gnus.  Why is it so hard?

TIA,

Michael.