Subject: 28.0.50; Customizing face font family fails on recent native-comp branch
From: Aaron Madlon-Kay <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 23:28:23 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In my init.el I customize the default face's height and family:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 180 :family "PragmataPro Liga")

In commit a3f2373bfb604af5570c86b4ffefb23296a5bfdd on the
feature/native-comp branch, the above line no longer has any
effect. Removing the :family spec allows me to successfully set the height:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 180)

However I am unable to set any family. No matter what I try (with faces
that are definitely installed and spelled correctly, and work with other
builds) the font is always the default for my system: Menlo.

Previously I was running commit 981240078cddbd26b35a65e5311350196542b42b
on the feature/native-comp branch without issue. Also I have tested
c7f15dfa80f5d104fa2b7faf06298a88160b59d9 on the master branch
(contemporaneous with the head of feature/native-comp as of this
writing) and it doesn't have this issue.

When executing set-face-attribute with a :family spec, no error or
message is output (the result is nil). It merely has no visible effect.

Setting the face through M-x customize also didn't work.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.2.0, NS appkit-2022.20 Version 11.1 (Build 20C69))
of 2021-01-03 built on Macmac
Repository revision: a3f2373bfb604af5570c86b4ffefb23296a5bfdd
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.1

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
--without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-gmp
--with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir
/opt/local/share/info/emacs --with-ns --with-lcms2 --without-harfbuzz
--without-imagemagick --without-xaw3d --with-nativecomp --with-rsvg
'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os
-isysroot/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.1.sdk
-arch x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
-isysroot/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.1.sdk'
'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-no_pie
-Wl,-syslibroot,/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.1.sdk
-arch x86_64''

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM NS MODULES NATIVE_COMP THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode easymenu easy-mmode cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 75408 8640)
(symbols 48 7339 0)
(strings 32 20821 2398)
(string-bytes 1 724793)
(vectors 16 14280)
(vector-slots 8 303611 9250)
(floats 8 23 58)
(intervals 56 365 1)
(buffers 984 12))