Subject: 28.0.50; Scrolling on echo area with pixel-scroll-mode enabled locks up Emacs
From: Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 11:14:35 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As the Subject says, scrolling using the mouse wheel on the echo area
causes Emacs to freeze/lock up (cursor is changed to spinning circle),
when pixel-scroll-mode is enabled.

I can reproduce in emacs -Q after evaluating the following in *scratch*:

(require 'pixel-scroll)
(pixel-scroll-mode 1)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 17, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.15.10, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-01-03 built on trisquel
Repository revision: 825b4ec338e82869dc656c7041ab2483b6c22479
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0)

Configured using:
 'configure --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xaw3d --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow orgalist org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs flyspell ispell emacsbug vc-git diff-mode sort smiley
ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-draft gnus-ml
gnus-topic nndraft nnmh gnutls utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm
nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ebdb-message
sendmail message rmc puny dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func
eieio-base cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs timezone gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr boxquote
rect yasnippet hl-todo pcase disp-table page-break-lines easy-mmode
delight recentf tree-widget wid-edit format-spec battery dbus time xml
finder-inf info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars cl-extra help-mode saveplace savehist paren bandali-erc
bandali-ebdb bandali-message bandali-gnus bandali-dired bandali-ibuffer
ibuf-macs bandali-eshell icomplete bandali-org bandali-exwm exwm-edit
exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm-config ido seq exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage
exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core
easymenu xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types cl-seq xcb-debug
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
server edmacro kmacro advice winner ring autorevert filenotify cl-macs
gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 332287 11838)
 (symbols 48 35073 4)
 (strings 32 103624 4194)
 (string-bytes 1 3551705)
 (vectors 16 68136)
 (vector-slots 8 1025323 12351)
 (floats 8 392 338)
 (intervals 56 825 0)
 (buffers 984 11))