Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] emacsGcc crash on Apple Silicon M1
From: michal panoch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:57:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

hi,

i'm on the new Apple Silicon M1 architecture and using nix emacs-overlay - https://github.com/nix-community/emacs-overlay/

like this: ~/.config/nixpkgs/overlays/emacs.nix

import (builtins.fetchTarball {
  url = https://github.com/nix-community/emacs-overlay/archive/master.tar.gz;
})

install whith:

$ nix-env -iA nixpkgs.emacsGcc

it compiles no problem. it runs and bytecompiles everything no problem, but after a while it crashes with:

Assertion failed: (mach_vm_map(mach_task_self(), &address, size, 0, VM_FLAGS_ANYWHERE | VM_MAKE_TAG(VM_MEMORY_COREGRAPHICS_BACKINGSTORES), port, 0, false, prot, prot, VM_INHERIT_SHARE) == KERN_SUCCESS), function backing_map, file /AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/SkyLight/SkyLight-569.6/SkyLight/Services/Windows/CGSBackingStore.c, line 192. Fatal error 6: Aborted [1] 2319 abort emacs --fg-daemon

any idea how to investigate?

uname -a:
Darwin mpm.local 20.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 20.2.0: Wed Dec  2 20:40:21 PST 2020; root:xnu-7195.60.75~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 arm64

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.2.0, NS appkit-2022.20 Version 10.16 (Build 20C69))
Repository revision: 87f6e937995c433825173fb0473a801791d5beac
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.1

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/9rsfjqclzwgsh63szkdb6mn2572pv9zi-emacs-gcc-20201217.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained --with-nativecomp
 CFLAGS=-DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=101200'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF PNG RSVG GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES NATIVE_COMP THREADS JSON PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-extra help-mode easymenu seq cl-seq
byte-opt cl-macs gv jka-compr cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile
cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85548 8869)
 (symbols 48 7929 1)
 (strings 32 23659 2908)
 (string-bytes 1 870425)
 (vectors 16 15702)
 (vector-slots 8 305764 19876)
 (floats 8 31 37)
 (intervals 56 198 0)
 (buffers 984 11))