Subject: [PATCH 0/2] image: Add system field.
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 11:53:51 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Here's a small patchset to improve the creation of disk-images on non-Intel
systems. Currently, when selecting "arm32-raw" or "arm64-raw" image types,
"guix system" will try to cross-compile to the relevant architectures,
regardless of the current system architecture.

This adds a "system" field to the image definition that indicates the
appropriate system. Then, if we are already running on this system,
"system-image" will build the image natively instead of using
cross-compilation. The image type "raw" is also renamed to "efi-raw" which is
more accurate.

Finally, as discussed with Danny on IRC, it could make sense to change the
default image type depending on the current system: efi-raw on x86_64-linux
and i686-linux, arm32-raw on armhf-linux and so on.

WDYT?

Thanks,

Mathieu

Mathieu Othacehe (2):
  image: Add system field.
  image: Rename "raw" image-type to "efi-raw".

 doc/guix.texi           | 10 +++++-----
 gnu/image.scm           |  3 +++
 gnu/system/image.scm    | 18 ++++++++++++++----
 guix/scripts/system.scm |  2 +-
 4 files changed, 23 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

-- 
2.29.2