Subject: 28.0.50; tramp over scp: text is read only on some apparently random lines
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 19:09:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have noticed that I cannot edit remote files easily with {C-x C-q} as
when doing it remotely, apparently random lines become read-only, then
from those lines below I can edit .vim line but not .viminfo and none of
the subsequent lines. There is no visible pattern to me why I cannot
edit files in Dired over Tramp scp/ssh

Here below I could edit first line and directory smos.cs-syd.ue but the
  second line smos.tar.gz is read only and then all 
  drwxr-xr-x 12 admin admin      4096 Nov 26 23:12 smos.cs-syd.eu
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin    247856 Nov 26 23:22 smos.tar.gz
  drwx------  2 admin admin      4096 Nov 27 00:23 .ssh
  drwxr-xr-x  3 admin admin      4096 Nov 24  2016 .subversion
  drwxr-xr-x  3 admin admin      4096 Sep 15 19:03 sync
  drwx------  3 admin admin      4096 Sep 26 22:46 .telegram-cli
  drwxr-xr-t  2 admin admin      4096 Oct 24 22:25 tmp
  -rw-------  1 root  root   26136504 Oct 20  2019 VID_20190324_103021.3gp
  drwxr-xr-x  2 admin admin      4096 Feb 18  2016 .vim
  -rw-------  1 admin admin     12853 Jun 10  2018 .viminfo
  drwx------  2 admin admin      4096 Jan 19  2016 .w3m
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin       631 Oct 31 03:35 .wget-hsts
  -rw-------  1 admin admin        73 Sep 15 18:55 .Xauthority
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin     47700 Nov  5 04:09 .zcompdump
  -rw-------  1 admin admin        36 Nov  5 04:10 .zsh_history
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin      1335 Jan 16  2016 .zshrc

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-11-25 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 30c437752df0a3a9410f1249fa0f237110811af2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs --with-modules
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Editable Dired

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap wdired
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 78324 6392)
 (symbols 48 9011 1)
 (strings 32 27963 1766)
 (string-bytes 1 986898)
 (vectors 16 14451)
 (vector-slots 8 203624 13657)
 (floats 8 47 14)
 (intervals 56 1615 0)
 (buffers 984 14))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis
⎔ λ 🄯 𝍄 𝌡 𝌚