Subject: Re: use pop-to-buffer, not switch...other-window, in bookmark.el
From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:01:43 -0400

tags unreproducible
--

Closing this as "unreproducible".  Or anyway, attempting to close as
unreproducible -- our bug tracker is too unusuable for me to be
confident of the effects of the commands I'm trying to issue.

FWIW, here's a response I typed up before reading the full bug
correspondence.  It's not relevant anymore, but if the bug ever
reappears, it might become relevant to testers:

  This would change the user-visible behavior.  For example, assume
  you're in a frame with one window, displaying buffer X.  In the
  current code, doing 'M-x bookmark-jump-other-window' and entering
  bookmark "foo" at the prompt will open a new window displaying buffer
  Y (assuming 'foo' points to a location in Y).  In other words, the
  frame will be divided into two windows.

  But if we replace "switch-to-buffer-other-window" with "pop-to-buffer"
  in `bookmark-jump-other-window', then the new behavior will be to
  *replace* the current whole-frame window displaying X with a new
  whole-frame window displaying Y.  That is not the desired behavior.