Subject: 28.0.50; "Bus error" when compiling Emacs now on Debian bullseye
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:12:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm getting this on one of my machines:

/bin/bash: line 1: 2759815 Bus error               EMACSLOADPATH= '../src/emacs' -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --eval '(setq load-prefer-newer t)' -f batch-byte-compile cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.el
make[3]: *** [Makefile:295: cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.elc] Error 135
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [Makefile:318: compile-main] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:411: lisp] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1126: bootstrap] Error 2

It's reproducible in that I always get this when I say "make", but if I
instead say

./src/emacs -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --eval '(setq load-prefer-newer t)' -f batch-byte-compile cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.el

everything works as it should, and it makes the .elc file.

So I'm not sure how to debug this...

On my laptop (which is also Debian bullseye), I'm not seeing any problems.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 51, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-08-09 built on xo
Repository revision: 1a845a672dc73c8e98e6cb9bb734616e168e60ba
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no