Subject: 26.3; Crash on startup
From: Unknown <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 23:48:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start up emacs with emacs -Q immediately terminates with a segfault.

Backtrace:

#0  0x000000000053a44c in best_xim_style (xim=0x0) at xfns.c:2540
#1  0x000000000053a509 in create_frame_xic (f=0x130fc30
<bss_sbrk_buffer+8426864>) at xfns.c:2570
#2  0x000000000053b242 in x_window (f=0x130fc30
<bss_sbrk_buffer+8426864>) at xfns.c:3101
#3  0x000000000053da55 in Fx_create_frame (parms=16251171) at
xfns.c:3917
#4  0x000000000061cf20 in funcall_subr (subr=0x75c200
<Sx_create_frame>, numargs=1, args=0x7fffffffabd8) at eval.c:2848
#5  0x000000000061caf5 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffabd0) at
eval.c:2773
#6  0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8192364,
vector=8192397, maxdepth=54, args_template=1026, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffb0d0) at bytecode.c:630
#7  0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8192317, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffb0c8) at eval.c:2974
#8  0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb0c0) at
eval.c:2775
#9  0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=23605060,
vector=12165093, maxdepth=14, args_template=1030, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffb6e0) at bytecode.c:630
#10 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=17657685, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffb6d8) at eval.c:2974
#11 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb6d0) at
eval.c:2775
#12 0x000000000061ba4f in Fapply (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb6d0) at
eval.c:2350
#13 0x000000000061ce29 in funcall_subr (subr=0xa6e500 <Sapply>,
numargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb6d0) at eval.c:2828
#14 0x000000000061caf5 in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x7fffffffb6c8) at
eval.c:2773
#15 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=21193828,
vector=17461109, maxdepth=62, args_template=514, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffbbe0) at bytecode.c:630
#16 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=22007749, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffbbe0) at eval.c:2974
#17 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffbbd8) at
eval.c:2775
#18 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8773940,
vector=8773973, maxdepth=54, args_template=1026, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffc158) at bytecode.c:630
#19 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8773877, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffc150) at eval.c:2974
#20 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffc148) at
eval.c:2775
#21 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8770884,
vector=8770917, maxdepth=26, args_template=2, nargs=0,
args=0x7fffffffc610) at bytecode.c:630
#22 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8770837, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffc610) at eval.c:2974
#23 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffffffc608) at
eval.c:2775
#24 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8805700,
vector=8805733, maxdepth=86, args_template=2, nargs=0,
args=0x7fffffffd1e8) at bytecode.c:630
#25 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8805653, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffd1e8) at eval.c:2974
#26 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffffffd1e0) at
eval.c:2775
#27 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8802260,
vector=8802293, maxdepth=50, args_template=2, nargs=0,
args=0x7fffffffd7d0) at bytecode.c:630
#28 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8802213, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffd7d0) at eval.c:2974
#29 0x000000000061d340 in apply_lambda (fun=8802213, args=0, count=4)
at eval.c:2910
#30 0x000000000061b6a9 in eval_sub (form=18614563) at eval.c:2283
#31 0x000000000061aa81 in Feval (form=18614563, lexical=0) at
eval.c:2058
#32 0x000000000056d582 in top_level_2 () at keyboard.c:1119
#33 0x00000000006192e4 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x56d55d
<top_level_2>, handlers=21120, hfun=0x56cfd5 <cmd_error>) at
eval.c:1336
#34 0x000000000056d5ca in top_level_1 (ignore=0) at keyboard.c:1127
#35 0x0000000000618b83 in internal_catch (tag=51456, func=0x56d584
<top_level_1>, arg=0) at eval.c:1101
#36 0x000000000056d4a7 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1088
#37 0x000000000056cb8f in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:695
#38 0x000000000056cd1d in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:766
#39 0x000000000056a73f in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffdd38) at
emacs.c:1722

Reported independently here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=257869

Author suggests the reason being an update of libX11 from 1.6.9 to
1.6.10. Bug does not trigger with "emacs -nw".

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.21)
 of 2020-08-02 built on myhost
System Description:	Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
 -g -O0 -fvar-tracking-assignments
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/christoph/Downloads/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm
time-date elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-
hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 100124 6055)
 (symbols 48 20503 1)
 (miscs 40 34 94)
 (strings 32 28676 1301)
 (string-bytes 1 748269)
 (vectors 16 12598)
 (vector-slots 8 460529 7536)
 (floats 8 54 688)
 (intervals 56 231 0)
 (buffers 992 12))