Subject: Handshake Error
From: Quinten Gruenthal <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:30:34 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I received the following error when performing a guix pull:

|substitute: guix substitute: error: TLS error in procedure 'handshake':
Error in the pull function.
killing process 8828
Backtrace:
          11 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/pl48b057h6yg8w6f7hafiilcc44d0fn6-compute-guix-derivation")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    155:9 10 (_ _)
    159:9  9 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-user)
7fc5ff085f?> ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ./guix/store.scm:
  2025:24  8 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640> _
#:guile-for-build _ #:system _ #:target _)
   1859:8  7 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   243:18  6 (_ _)
   1061:2  5 (_ _)
    921:2  4 (_ _)
    782:4  3 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  1907:12  2 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640>)
   1356:5  1 (map/accumulate-builds #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640>
_ _)
  1367:15  0 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7fc5fd407640> _ _)

./guix/store.scm:1367:15: ERROR:
  1. &store-protocol-error:
      message: "`/gnu/store/5r3sb6bj6pppn4h35a35956mv5qrd011-guix-command
substitute' died unexpectedly"
      status: 1
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/pl48b057h6yg8w6f7hafiilcc44d0fn6-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"cf48f0fc4c40a2ec0b38a445e1e13f37722a0ade"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "ecf92194a55188a9c217d76617378749db063453"; pull-version: 1).
Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.

I've seen this kind of error before in other software and I believe it
occurs when a handshake can't be performed in time and the connection is
dropped; I was able to successfully pull a few minutes later under better
conditions. That being said I bring this up because a problem in my network
(I think) is being treated like an error in your program.