Subject: [PATCH] doc: Specify the branch name in the title of a patch.
From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 20:42:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* doc/contributing.texi (Submitting Patches): Add branch name in the
title of a patch if different than master.
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 14 ++++++++------
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index 9583120742..618d9008cc 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -1083,12 +1083,14 @@ guix pull --url=/path/to/your/checkout --profile=/tmp/guix.master
 @end enumerate
 
 When posting a patch to the mailing list, use @samp{[PATCH] @dots{}} as
-a subject.  You may use your email client or the @command{git
-send-email} command (@pxref{Sending a Patch Series}).  We prefer to get
-patches in plain text messages, either inline or as MIME attachments.
-You are advised to pay attention if your email client changes anything
-like line breaks or indentation which could potentially break the
-patches.
+a subject, if your patch is to be applied on a branch other than master,
+say @code{core-updates}, specify it in the subject like @samp{[PATCH
+core-updates] @dots{}}.  You may use your email client or the
+@command{git send-email} command (@pxref{Sending a Patch Series}).  We
+prefer to get patches in plain text messages, either inline or as MIME
+attachments.  You are advised to pay attention if your email client
+changes anything like line breaks or indentation which could potentially
+break the patches.
 
 When a bug is resolved, please close the thread by sending an email to
 @email{@var{NNN}-done@@debbugs.gnu.org}.
-- 
2.26.2