Subject: Re: bug#40527: qemu 4.2.0 test suite hangs on i686-linux
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 21:17:43 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> The test suite of QEMU 4.2.0 systematically hangs on i686-linux:
>
> MALLOC_PERTURB_=${MALLOC_PERTURB_:-$(( ${RANDOM:-0} % 255 + 1))}  QTEST_QEMU_BINARY=i386-softmmu/qemu-system-i386 QTEST_QEMU_IMG=qemu-img tests/migration-test -m=quick -k --tap < /dev/null | ./scripts/tap-driver.pl --test-name="migration-test" 
> PASS 1 migration-test /i386/migration/deprecated
> PASS 2 migration-test /i386/migration/bad_dest
> PASS 3 migration-test /i386/migration/fd_proto
> PASS 4 migration-test /i386/migration/validate_uuid
> PASS 5 migration-test /i386/migration/validate_uuid_error
> PASS 6 migration-test /i386/migration/validate_uuid_src_not_set
> PASS 7 migration-test /i386/migration/validate_uuid_dst_not_set
> building of `/gnu/store/3k4ncd7d41va4kflila981246ai83xzi-qemu-minimal-4.2.0.drv' timed out after 3600 seconds of silence
>
>
> The process tree at that point looks like this:
>
> $ pstree -p |grep  -A50 8930
>             |-guix-daemon(32573)-+-guix-daemon(8165)-+-guile(8930)-+-117(1351)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1375)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1405)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1443)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1477)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1516)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1534)
>             |                    |                   |             |-117(1559)
>             |                    |                   |             |-140(2420)
>             |                    |                   |             |-140(2445)
>             |                    |                   |             |-140(2468)
>             |                    |                   |             |-140(2491)
>             |                    |                   |             |-140(2522)
>             |                    |                   |             |-140(2553)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2630)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2654)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2678)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2706)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2724)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2742)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2760)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2788)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2811)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2829)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2847)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2865)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2883)
>             |                    |                   |             |-141(2906)
> […]
>
> Ludo’.

With QEMU 5.2.0 on master that seems to no longer be the case;

$ guix build -s i686-linux qemu

builds normally.

Closing.

Thanks for the report!

Maxim