Subject: Re: [bug#39447] [PATCH] gnu: Add python-gandi.cli.
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 00:25:55 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Amin,

Amin Bandali 写道：
> * gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm (python-gandi.cli): New variable.

Thanks!  This package is already in Guix as ‘gandi.cli’ — we avoid 
the ‘python-’ prefix for stand-alone programmes since being 
written in Python (or any other language) is irrelevant.

+    (propagated-inputs
+     `(("git" ,git)
+       ("openssh" ,openssh)
+       ("openssl" ,openssl)
+       ("python-click" ,python-click)
+       ("python-ipy" ,python-ipy)
+       ("python-pyyaml" ,python-pyyaml)
+       ("python-requests" ,python-requests)
+       ("python-setuptools" ,python-setuptools)))

Propagation should be avoided when possible, although it's (sadly) 
more common in Python packages than elsewhere.

However, propagating inputs like git, openssh, openssl, 
python-setuptools… is definitely wrong.  Was this deliberate? 
Which problem were you trying to solve?  Take a look at 
gandi.cli's ‘embed-store-file-names’ for a different approach that 
avoids propagation altogether.

I'm closing this bug, but please let me know if the existing 
gandi.cli is missing features.  I added it but haven't used it in 
a while.

Kind regards,

T G-R