Subject: 27.0.50; No Tramp completion if completion-styles doesn't include basic, emacs22, or emacs21
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 07:27:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With

  emacs -Q --eval "(setq completion-styles '(partial-completion
  substring initials flex) completion-category-overrides nil)"

Tramp file name completion does not work.  E.g., C-x C-f /ssh:<tab> will
not suggest usernames and hostnames.  Currently, it is mandatory to have
one of the completion styles basic, emacs22, or emacs21 enabled.

Stefan Monnier explained why that's currently the way it is and possible
solutions to the problem in

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-10/msg00148.html

For the time being, I'd suggest to adapt the completion styles
documentation so that it explititly mentions keeping a basic style
(basic, emacs22, or emacs21) in completion-styles.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2019-10-28 built on jiffyarch
Repository revision: 7e30076225cebe85f7e60802f471b421a369abd7
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
error in process filter: image-type: Invalid image type ‘jpeg’
error in process filter: Invalid image type ‘jpeg’
error in process filter: image-type: Invalid image type ‘jpeg’
error in process filter: Invalid image type ‘jpeg’
20191028T070728.386> End of message
20191028T070728.415> End of message
20191028T070728.445> End of message
20191028T070728.476> End of message
20191028T070728.505> End of message
20191028T070728.535> End of message

Configured using:
 'configure --without-x --without-x-toolkit'

Configured features:
SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB XIM MODULES
THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-mailing-list-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util sort gnus-cite qp gnus-bcklg gnus-async
gnus-ml hl-line nndraft nnmh rot13 utf-7 network-stream nnml nnnil
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache
gnus-demon nntp spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-gravatar
mail-extr gravatar url-cache gnus-topic gnus-registry registry
eieio-base th-private term/screen term/xterm xterm company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop xref company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-bbdb org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus nnir org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m paredit symbol-overlay
display-fill-column-indicator auto-package-update finder-inf generic
fish-mode cargo cargo-process compile rust-mode web-mode disp-table
beacon aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher epa-file org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils
f s boxquote rect smtpmail-multi smtpmail sendmail ecomplete yasnippet
auto-dictionary flyspell ispell tramp-smb tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat ls-lisp which-key
highlight-parentheses company-restclient know-your-http-well
http-status-codes http-relations http-methods http-headers company pcase
raven project restclient forge-list forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls
forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic
bug-reference forge-post markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline
forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite emacsql
emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process magit-mode transient git-commit magit-git magit-section
magit-utils crm log-edit pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp
advice async shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring server dash
visual-filename-abbrev debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp use-package-ensure
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode icomplete mb-depth windmove
elec-pair regexp-opt rx recentf tree-widget cap-words superword subword
saveplace savehist paren smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util image svg xml dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro
kmacro dracula-theme cl-extra help-mode use-package-core info tool-bar
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 553402 38611)
 (symbols 48 43782 3)
 (strings 32 210976 10674)
 (string-bytes 1 6458314)
 (vectors 16 65693)
 (vector-slots 8 1143895 32620)
 (floats 8 629 1083)
 (intervals 56 767 33)
 (buffers 1000 32))