Subject: Fringe pixmaps, widgets, etc. look ridiculously tiny in hidpi screen
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 03:28:55 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, this issue has been raised many times in reddit and other forums.
Support for hidpi (e.g. my screen is 3000x2000) is rather deficient.
Buttons, checkboxes and other widgets look minuscule. The decorations in
the Fringe are barely visible. I'm not sure whether the best strategy is to
offer manually scaled up pixmap variants or to automatically scale them up
even if the result ends up being a bit blurry. In any case, most screens in
sell today are mid or hi resolution, it's almost impossible to buy a decent
piece of new hardware with a good old 1366x768 screen. And emacs should
catchup.

I propose to make an inventory of all the things that should be fixed
towards hidpi support and maybe provide an external package patching
whatever could be patched as a temporary measure.

I'm using emacs 26.3 in Ubuntu 19.04. My DE is Gnome 3.32, scaling factor =
2.

Best regards
--
Carlos