Subject: Concatenation of gzip compressed bytearray
From: Zhu Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:28:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello there,

Our team has a use case where we want to concatenate gzip-compressed byte
arrays. We do compression with GZIPOutputStream.java with Java 8 and
decompression with GZIPInputStream.java.
In a simple test case I compressed several instances of byte[] with
GZIPOutputStream and output the compressed results to several instances of
byte[], and then put all of them into a ByteBuffer. Then I tried to
decompress the concatenated data in the final ByteBuffer with
GZIPInputStream.
And I found that sometimes this works as expected but other times the last
few instances of input byte[] are ignored by GZIPInputStream(it seems to
get EOF at the end of a compressed byte[], which is not the last compressed
byte[] in the ByteBuffer) I was testing with the default setting.
So does this mean that GZIPInputStream and GZIPOutputStream don't support
such operation by design or is there something we can configure/change for
this to work?

Regards,
Zhu