Subject: 27.0.50; [Windows] "Permission denied" error from call-process if executable not found
From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 20:43:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In "emacs -Q", if the file "xyzzy" does not exist on the path,
(call-process "xyzzy") now leaves this in the *Messages* buffer:

  forward-sexp: Searching for program: Permission denied, xyzzy

In older versions the entry in the message buffer is a true statement:

  eval: Searching for program: No such file or directory, xyzzy

(I also noticed debug-on-error is now 't' in "emacs -Q". This isn't in the
NEWS, unless I missed it?)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 13, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-10-01 built on MACHINE
Repository revision: cbc507779b8f56ce0abf596416e8e3847de88e10
Repository branch: buster
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18890
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.1903.18890.1000)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
forward-sexp: Searching for program: Permission denied, xyzzy
Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --with-modules --without-pop --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile compile comint ansi-color ring cconv
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode
easymenu find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 56362 12184)
 (symbols 48 6971 1)
 (strings 32 19777 2016)
 (string-bytes 1 617340)
 (vectors 16 11386)
 (vector-slots 8 141766 11600)
 (floats 8 25 161)
 (intervals 56 229 7)
 (buffers 992 12))