Subject: Re: bug#37464: 26.3; Icomplete and TRAMP create unnecessary buffer
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 11:17:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andrii,

> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. M-x icomplete-mode
> 3. C-x C-f
> 4. /q::
>    instead of "q" allowed method can be specified e.g. "sudo" or "ssh"
> 5. C-g
> 6. C-x C-b
>
> Notice new buffer "*tramp/q..." created although command was cancelled.

Thanks for the report, I can confirm the behaviour. However, this is not
a bug. Try the following command instead:

emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 6)'

This enables traces up to level 6, which are the commands send to a
remote host. You will see also the buffer *debug tramp/ssh...*. No trace
there with level 6, but entries like

11:09:33.148026 tramp-file-name-handler (5) # Non-essential received in operation (file-name-all-completions  /ssh::)

This tells us, that Tramp hasn't tried any remote connection, because it
is still in user name / host name completion. And that's what counts.

I'm marking this as not-a-bug, and close it. Feel free to ask if you
need further information.

Best regards, Michael.