Subject: bug in date / coreutils
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 03:32:58 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I believe there is a bug in the date utility.

My system is set to Berlin time, now daylight saving time.

When I put in

   date --date='TZ="Europe/Berlin" now'

I get correctly

   Sat 17 Aug 05:11:18 CEST 2019

However, putting in

  date --date='TZ="America/Los_Angeles" now'

yields

   Sat 17 Aug 14:12:03 CEST 2019

which is nonsense. Also, putting in

   date --date='TZ="Asia/Shanghai" now'

giving

   Fri 16 Aug 23:13:36 CEST 2019

which is definitely wrong, as I am currently in China where the sun is  
up and shining.

I get from date --version the following:

date (GNU coreutils) 8.23
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by David MacKenzie.

My system is

Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u1 (2017-02-22)  
x86_64 GNU/Linux

I get the same kind of error using 'today' instead of 'now', or  
'tomorrow', '1 hour ago', etc.

In case you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Jens Baltrusch