Subject: Guix fails to build with libgc 8.0.4
From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 20:26:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Some days ago Guix failed to build on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Today I
started to investigate it.

Guix fails to build on Tumbleweed with `make -j4` or a greater thread
count (see guile_coredump_building_guix.log)

It doesn't fail to build with `make -j3` or less threads and when
building inside of `guix environment --pure guix`.

I then started to look around what could differ between Tumbleweed and
guix environment. My first assumption was kind of hit :)

Tumbleweed is built since some days with libgc 8.0.4 and Guix is still
on 7.6.6. In my home project[0] I have built now Guix (and Guile) with
libgc 7.6.4, the version Tumbleweed used before. Guix builds now with
`make -j4` and greater again on Tumbleweed...

So it seems that guile is not compatible with libgc 8.x yet? Is this
correct?

I wanted to update libgc in guix but it has 5k dependencies, so I did not :P

Any Ideas how to fix this? Do you need any further information from me?

Cheers Jonathan

[0] https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:jbrielmaier:guix