Subject: ‘sudo guix pull’ creates root-owned /home/$USER/.cache/guix/…
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 18:56:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Guix,

After running ‘sudo guix pull’, some directories that guix 
assumes to be writable are not:

  $ guix pull
  Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 
  'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
  guix pull: error: Git error: failed to create temporary file 
  '/home/adom/.cache/guix/pull/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq/.git/objects/pack/pack_git2_dVwpVq': 
  Permission denied
  $

Now Guix isn't doing anything wrong, per se, and that error 
message will tip off most jaded Unixbeards, but how about a:

  $ guix pull
  warning: /home/<USER>/.cache/… is not writable by the current 
  user <USER>
  hint: You might want to run ‘chown -R <USER>:<USER> /home/…’ 
  [or just delete it outright? -nckx]
  …

?

Thanks to adom` in #guix for posting that output.

Kind regards,

T G-R