Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Add 'eval/container'
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 16:21:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

This adds ‘eval/container’, which can be used to implement things that
are almost derivation (pure computational processes), but not quite:
processes that produce side effects, that need to access the daemon,
or that need to talk over the network.

It doesn’t have any users currently.  Guix-Jupyter-Kernel will probably
use it (to spawn proxied kernels in isolated environments), and I think
Ricardo had a use case for it in GWL too.

What do people think?

I wonder if we should target ‘run-in-container’ instead of
‘call-with-container’, or maybe both.  It’s also a bit troubling
that ‘eval/container’ returns an exit status instead of the evaluation
result, but I think it has to be this way, more or less.

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (1):
  linux-container: Add 'eval/container'.

 gnu/system/linux-container.scm | 49 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 tests/containers.scm           | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 98 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

-- 
2.22.0