Subject: 26.2.90; Emacs doesn't support .dylib suffix for modules on macOS
From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 19:13:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On macOS, shared libraries typically have the suffix .dylib,
cf. https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/DynamicLibraries/100-Articles/UsingDynamicLibraries.html,
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/DynamicLibraries/100-Articles/DynamicLibraryUsageGuidelines.html,
https://stackoverflow.com/a/2339910.  Emacs only supports the .so
suffix, though.  I'd propose to switch MODULES_SUFFIX to .dylib on
macOS, but keep .so in `load-suffixes' for compatibility.

In GNU Emacs 26.2.90 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.6.0, NS appkit-1671.50 Version 10.14.5 (Build 18F132))
 of 2019-06-15
Repository revision: 200f63cfa5904462cdcb440d4da63dfa92c666a6
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Unknown seq pattern: (seq 3 (pred (lambda (c) (and (characterp c) (= (aref (symbol-name (category c)) 0) 76)))))")

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
 MAKEINFO=/usr/local/opt/texinfo/bin/makeinfo CFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton derived
edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars subr-x rx gnutls dbus xml
cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 217850 8149)
 (symbols 48 21883 1)
 (miscs 40 49 173)
 (strings 32 33455 1172)
 (string-bytes 1 914012)
 (vectors 16 37124)
 (vector-slots 8 751046 19326)
 (floats 8 53 63)
 (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 11))