Subject: Re: bug#35601: First 'guix pull' does not display 'hash guix' hint
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 17:45:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]> skribis:

> To reproduce simply run (after installing Guix System using the 1.0.0
> installer) 'guix --version', which will yield 'guix (GNU Guix) 1.0.0',
> then 'guix pull', which will display no hint about running 'hash guix',
> then 'guix --version' again, which will return 'guix (GNU Guix) 1.0.0'
> again, and finally 'hash guix' followed by 'guix --version', which now
> will yield 'guix (GNU Guix) 1234somecommithash123456789abcdefghijklm'.

I *think* this is fixed for good by
a0dc97a517cbc4c82640e30cacb2a564d128bbe9.

> Regardless of the hint I still believe it is unfortunate that running
> 'guix pull && guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm' for the first
> time will rather counterintuitively downgrade the system instead of
> upgrading it.

I agree.  Perhaps an option would be to somehow pre-populate
~/.config/guix/current for all users on Guix System, but I’m not quite
sure how to do that intelligently.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.