Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Add 'guix install', 'guix remove', and 'guix upgrade'
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 18:25:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

Here’s a change that’s both trivial and anecdotal by its size and
complexity, and super important after 7 years typing ‘guix package -i’
when every other tool out there has an ‘install’ sub-command.  :-)

The main question is how we are going to present it when we introduce
people to Guix.  In the manual I listed the aliases and changed
several instances of ‘guix package -i’ to ‘guix install’.  To me,
‘guix package’ remains unavoidable, but having ‘guix install’ in
particular is important to help newcomers get started quickly.

Technically, the aliases are not dumb: you cannot do, say,
‘guix install -r foo’ to remove a package.  There’s little code
duplication beyond ‘show-help’ and the license header.

Thoughts?  Rejection?  Happiness?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (1):
  guix package: Add 'install', 'remove', and 'upgrade' aliases.

 Makefile.am                   |  4 ++
 doc/guix.texi                 | 39 ++++++++++-----
 guix/scripts/install.scm      | 81 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 guix/scripts/package.scm      | 11 ++++-
 guix/scripts/remove.scm       | 78 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 guix/scripts/upgrade.scm      | 90 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 po/guix/POTFILES.in           |  3 ++
 tests/guix-package-aliases.sh | 58 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 8 files changed, 352 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 guix/scripts/install.scm
 create mode 100644 guix/scripts/remove.scm
 create mode 100644 guix/scripts/upgrade.scm
 create mode 100644 tests/guix-package-aliases.sh

-- 
2.21.0