Subject: Re: bug#3471: 23.0.94; linum-mode and invisible lines
From: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
To: Leo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 00:34:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Leo <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Leo,

> In buffers where many many lines are invisible, enabling linum-mode
> would take a long time and C-g won't be able to stop it.
>
> More specifically, I use magit to manage a small git repo, its status
> buffer at the moment has 11850 lines (buffer size 366524) with only <
> 100 lines visible. Running linum-mode on it would freeze emacs for a few
> minutes on a intel core duo 2.0G machine.

This bug report is pretty, and I cannot reproduce it on a recent build
of Emacs:

- open a magit status buffer with large uncommitted changes (234000
  lines)
- Evaluate `linum-mode'

The result is instantaneous with Emacs built from master today, on a 2nd
Gen Intel i5 (i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz).

I'm closing this ticket, and while I can't reproduce the issue, feel
free to reopen this ticket if you can.

Cheers,
Nico