Subject: 27.0.50; Quoting problem in (elisp) Documentation Tips
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 18:10:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Prompted by the current thread "Quoting t and nil in docstrings" on
emacs-devel, I noticed a display problem in the Info node (elisp)
Documentation Tips, line 99, in the following sequence of characters:

  ‘CODE can be ‘lambda’, nil, or t’

The sequence

  CODE can be ‘lambda

is displayed with Info-quoted face, all the other characters with the
default face.  I supposed this is a texinfo (or makeinfo) bug triggered
by the nested quoting in the display (in the texinfo source the above
sequence of characters is enclosed in @samp{}, except for the uttermost
quote signs, which are only in the Info display).  In lieu of a fix for
this bug I see two workarounds for the Emacs tips.texi file: (a) use the
"older single-quoting convention", i.e. `lambda', which is also used in
other examples in this very node; (b) use the @example environment
instead of @samp, which does not add the outer quotes and displays the
entire sequence in the default face (but then this example would look
different from the other examples in this node that use the "older
single-quoting convention", so maybe both (a) and (b), or change the
quoting in the other examples).  I haven't tried to check whether there
are other instances of this display issue in the Emacs doc.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 33, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-02-02 built on rosalinde
Repository revision: 2f55b971b42d13188157331a1e514949f20ced4f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: 8.3