Subject: 23.0.60; set-fill-column wants a number

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:33:25 +0100

Hello!

When I position the text cursor somewhere on a line and type C-x f to  
set the fill column, an error is reported:

	set-fill-column: set-fill-column requires an explicit argument

The documentation tells:

	C-x f runs the command set-fill-column, which is an interactive
	compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
	
	It is bound to C-x f.
	
	(set-fill-column arg)
	
	Set `fill-column' to specified argument.
	Use C-u followed by a number to specify a column.
	Just C-u as argument means to use the current column.

This does not explain the error. The last seems to explain that C-u C- 
x f is necessary. What is then C-x f good for? I remember that I  
could change the value of fill-column according to its documentation  
(excerpt):

	Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-x f.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2008-03-02 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-pop' '--without-sound' '-- 
with-xft' '--with-libotf' '--with-dbus' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '-- 
enable-font-backend' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application  
Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/Emacs/caml:/ 
Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/ 
lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/local/clamXav/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig'  
'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -D__BIND_NOSTATIC -I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/ 
include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include/ 
freetype2 -idirafter /usr/X11R6/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -gfull - 
bind_at_load -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 - 
mno-powerpc64 -O0' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load -dead_strip - 
multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib/ 
freetype219/lib''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Ein Faulpelz ist ein Mensch, der sich nicht die Arbeit macht, sein  
Nichtstun zu begründen.	(Gabriel Laub)