Subject: Re: [bug#33916] [PATCH 0/4] Make GDM usable
From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
To: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 10:30:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Timothy,

thanks!

I've pushed this series to master as:

92deb5cc920fcc7617302986180f1abee5fd2b26
89c8656200a21485fd50fe4d277792d7d56c63e0
de409e82261eb147b6614aef8731d795ca664ef0
48c8d067d4ded776939cda6f9c63c25b38ba77fc

I've taken a look at gnu/system/pam.scm where unix-pam-service is defined,
and it just does "auth sufficient pam_rootok.so".  This means that root
will be allowed to log in without password (which is what is documented
there, too).

But how come it (or gdm) then allows any user?

Fedora does it differently:

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_Root_User_For_GNOME_Display_Manager

> auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet