Subject: 27.0.50; Partial glyphs not rendered for Gujarati with Harfbuzz enabled (renders fine using m17n)
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:20:23 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I built emacs from harfbuzz branch with harfbuzz 1.0.3 installed (RHEL 6.8).

I quickly compared Hindi and Gujarati rendering difference between emacs
built with m17n vs the new harfbuzz branch build.

With harfbuzz, it does not render the partial glyphs for Gujarati, but does
it fine for Hindi. But on the build with m17n, both Hindi and Gujarati show
that partial glyph rendered fine.

Screenshot to explain this issue: https://i.imgtc.com/md9Yz7X.png

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2018-12-13
Repository revision: 981b3d292aff49452c2b5f0217b57ec1a2829a8b
Repository branch: harfbuzz
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.8
(Santiago)

Recent messages:
Emacs version: GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.24.23)
 of 2018-12-13, built using commit 981b3d292aff49452c2b5f0217b57ec1a2829a8b.

./configure options:
  --with-modules --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/harfbuzz
'--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags_emacs/' --with-harfbuzz
'CPPFLAGS=-I/home/kmodi/stowed/include -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native'
'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/stowed/lib -L/home/kmodi/stowed/lib64
-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64'
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/pkgconfig:/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/home/kmodi/stowed/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:/lib/pkgconfig:/lib64/pkgconfig

Features:
  XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

--
Kaushal Modi