Subject: 27.0.50; buffer-local face-remapping not obeyed for the fringe
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 13:27:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs
Version: 27.0.50

If I do:

    src/emacs -Q --eval "(face-remap-add-relative 'fringe '(:background \"red\"))"
    C-x 4 b *Messages*
    M-x redraw-display
    C-x o
    M-x redraw-display

I see that Emacs redraws all the fringes with the same `fringe` face, that which
happens to be specified in the currently selected window, instead of
correctly using for each window the `fringe` face adjusted to the
face-remapping that happens to be active in the window's buffer.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.1)
 of 2018-11-02 built on alfajor
Repository revision: e94881becd05d0ef472fcd2f44a08b6a1342e421
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/zones/zones.el

Configured using:
 'configure -C --enable-checking --with-modules --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-compact-docstrings-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/svg/svg hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/svg
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/nadvice/nadvice hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/nadvice
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/hyperbole/set hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/emacs-lisp/set
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/landmark/landmark hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/landmark
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp

Features:
(sort mail-extr emacsbug eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
edmacro kmacro dabbrev log-edit message sendmail rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils mailheader pcvs-util battery help-fns radix-tree cl-print
executable copyright lisp-mnt cl-extra misearch multi-isearch add-log
smerge-mode whitespace vc vc-dispatcher xscheme unsafep trace testcover
shadow scheme re-builder profiler inf-lisp ielm gmm-utils ert pp ewoc
debug elp edebug backtrace find-func cl-indent advice cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit vc-git diff-mode filecache server flymake-proc flymake
compile comint ansi-color ring warnings noutline outline easy-mmode
flyspell ispell checkdoc thingatpt help-mode load-dir elec-pair reveal
autoinsert proof-site proof-autoloads cl pg-vars savehist minibuf-eldef
disp-table compact-docstrings cl-seq inline kotl-autoloads info
realgud-recursive-autoloads url-auth finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 246020 31533)
 (symbols 24 30529 0) (strings 16 0 0) (string-bytes 1 0) (vectors 8 106003)
 (vector-slots 4 1778902 139988)
 (floats 8 121 283) (intervals 28 6728 1141) (buffers 528 33))