Subject: xref-find-definitions should return file names, too
From: Ludovic Brenta <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 16:32:21 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Version: 26.1
Severity: wishlist

Hello,

It would be nice if xref-find-definitions returned files in
addition to language-specific "definitions".  For example:

M-. foo-bar.adb RET

should open the file foo-bar.adb (wherever it is in the
potentially complex directory structure of the project) and
leave point at the beginning of the file.

This is a feature of find-tag but find-tag is now deprecated
in favor of xref-find-definitions; so this feature is missing
and xref-find-definitions is not yet a complete replacement for
find-tag.

Thanks for consideration.

-- 
Ludovic Brenta.