Subject: 27.0.50; setting display-line-numbers to 'visual breaks next-/previous-line
From: Berkan Eskikaya <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 01:12:23 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

$ emacs -Q

M-x eval-expression

Eval: (setq display-line-numbers 'visual)

;; now, enter three identical number rows into the scratch buffer

123456789 RET
123456789 RET
123456789

C-r 5 RET ; go to number 5 on the third line

C-p ; try to move one line up.. the cursor will jump back 4 places, to
number 1 on the second line

C-e ; go to the end of the second line

C-n ; try to move one line down.. again, the cursor will jump back 4
places, to number 6 on the third line

C-p ; try to move one line up.. the cursor will successfully move to
number 6 on the second line

C-p ; cursor on 6 on the first line, as expected

C-n ; cursor on 6 on the second line, as expected

C-f ; move the cursor forward to number 7

C-n ; cursor will be on the third line, on number 3 (having jumped back
4 places again)

In general, the first C-n/-p (next-/previous-line) after a horizontal move
(eg, C-e, C-f, C-b) will make the cursor jump 4 places back. The subsequent
vertical moves will behave as expected, until another horizontal move.

This behaviour only happens when display-line-numbers is set to 'visual --
the absolute or relative modes do not trigger this.

Many thanks
Berkan

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of
2018-06-17 built on lgw01-amd64-050
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item
read--expression: End of file during parsing
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
visual

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
 '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --program-suffix=-snapshot --with-modules=yes --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets=yes 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-mode easymenu cl-print debug
cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97325 10072)
 (symbols 48 20347 1)
 (miscs 40 34 113)
 (strings 32 28836 1792)
 (string-bytes 1 762757)
 (vectors 16 15089)
 (vector-slots 8 511362 9590)
 (floats 8 50 255)
 (intervals 56 254 0)
 (buffers 992 12)
 (heap 1024 38073 1028))