Subject: Re: bug#31648: 26; (elisp) `Indirect Buffers': `clone-indirect-buffer'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 14:19:07 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 15:25:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> The doc of `clone-indirect-buffer' is incorrect.  It implies that the
> new, indirect buffer, is not displayed when the command is invoked
> interactively.
> 
> The doc string is correct.  Please correct the manual similarly.  The
> statement of the second sentence here, from the doc string is missing
> from the manual:
> 
>  DISPLAY-FLAG non-nil means show the new buffer with 'pop-to-buffer'.
>  This is always done when called interactively.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I added a note about DISPLAY-FLAG in interactive calls, but in general
you shouldn't expect this to be spelled out in the ELisp manual,
because interactive invocation of commands is described in the Emacs
manual, and the ELisp manual is biased towards non-interactive uses.

> (One might wonder why non-nil, instead of nil, was chosen to show the
> buffer, since that's the default interactive behavior - but it's too
> late now.)

??? It's the default interactively, but not in non-interactive calls.
It should be clear that non-interactive calls don't necessarily want
to display the cloned buffer.