Subject: 25.3; authinfo password backslash problem
From: Max Froumentin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 17:56:01 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Assumption: 
  User's IMAP password has a backslash character ('\') in it.

Steps:
  1. Setup gnus so it connects to an imap backend
  2. Start gnus
  3. Enter the username and password of the IMAP account
  4. Say yes to saving the credentials in .authinfo
  5. Quit emacs
  6. Restart emacs
  7. M-x gnus
  8. Authentication fails

The password saved in the .authinfo file has its backlash escaped
('\\').  If the file is edited directly and the extra backslash is removed,
authentication works again.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G1036))
 of 2018-01-02 built on gds6112.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3 --without-x --with-xml2
 --without-dbus --without-gnutls --without-imagemagick --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  ivy-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
nnimap read 0k from mail.lapin-bl.eu [16 times]
nnimap read 2k from mail.lapin-bl.eu
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Ag finished
Auto-saving...done
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Mark set [3 times]
Mark deactivated
Mark saved where search started
Quit [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/Users/maxfroumentin/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.5/let-alist hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail misearch multi-isearch vc-git
ag vc-svn find-dired gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 rfc2104
network-stream nsm starttls nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache ecomplete nnir gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader wid-edit colir color counsel esh-util etags xref project swiper
flycheck flymake two-column ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup elm-mode elm-interactive subr-x
elm-font-lock rx elm-indent elm-imenu imenu elm-format elm-tags elm-util
f s magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub url-http tls
gnutls url-gw url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
let-alist json map auth-source magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode
diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-process magit-margin magit-mode git-commit magit-git magit-section
eieio eieio-core magit-utils crm magit-popup log-edit message dired
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
with-editor async-bytecomp async shell dash projectile cl-seq grep
compile ibuf-ext ibuffer thingatpt edmacro kmacro multi-term cl-macs cl
term disp-table ehelp org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
saveplace finder-inf advice info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib whitespace hl-line linum paren server time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 518120 45268)
 (symbols 48 49494 0)
 (miscs 40 543 862)
 (strings 32 120842 17573)
 (string-bytes 1 3826793)
 (vectors 16 71186)
 (vector-slots 8 1088203 8172)
 (floats 8 775 830)
 (intervals 56 3572 1023)
 (buffers 976 29))