Subject: 26; Doc strings of commands and other functions of `replace.el'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 08:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. The doc strings of many functions do not describe all of their args,
including these:

 query-replace-read-from
 query-replace-compile-replacement
 query-replace-read-to
 query-replace
 query-replace-regexp
 replace-string
 replace-regexp
 occur-mode-goto-occurrence
 occur-next-error
 occur-rename-buffer
 multi-occur
 multi-occur-in-matching-buffers
 perform-replace
 
In many cases, it is the more recently added args which are not
documented (of the args of recently added functions).  This suggests
oversight/laziness - no one has yet bothered to DTRT for those newly
added args.

2. There are also numerous functions in this file that have no doc
strings.  They should have doc strings, and those doc strings should
describe the arguments.  For example, none of the `occur-engine'
functions have doc strings.  Laziness on the part of the person who
added them, perhaps - but this should be corrected now.

3. In some cases there are poorly named args whose names are not
explained (the args are not really described).  For example, BUFREGEXP.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-04-10
Repository revision: c267421647510319d2a70554e42f0d1c394dba0a
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''