Subject: Re: bug#31108: Julia: ‘objconv.zip’modified in place on www.agner.org
From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:21:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Ludo,

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 at 09:20, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Does it make sense to keep the bug open?  If yes, could you please
>> provide a bit more information about the context?
>
> If the current Julia package doesn’t have a similar problem, I think we
> can close this bug.

Maybe I miss the bug at the time “09 Apr 2018”, where it was an upstream
mismatch.  It seems fixed by these 2 commits:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
commit 2930a39b165ce9e13e899fe66b82c03932e0e86b
Author: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date:   Wed Oct 31 15:54:38 2018 +0100

    gnu: julia: Update objconv input to 2018-10-07.
    
    * gnu/packages/julia.scm (julia)[input]: Update objconf to 2018-10-07.

commit 81bf0fd0d4a7e78febb394576ea849285fc2d329
Author: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Sep 4 18:53:13 2018 +0200

    gnu: julia: Update objconv input.
    
    * gnu/packages/julia.scm (julia)[inputs]: Update the hash of "objconv", which
    does not have a stable URL.  Add a file name and use HTTPS while at it.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So closing! :-)

BTW, at the time (2018), the inputs were:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
       ("objconv"
        ,(origin
           (method url-fetch)
           ;; No versioned URL, see <https://www.agner.org/optimize/> for updates.
           (uri "https://www.agner.org/optimize/objconv.zip")
           (file-name "objconv-2018-08-15.zip")
           (sha256
            (base32
             "09y4pwxfs6fl47cyingbf95i2rxx74wmycl9fd4ldcgvpx9bzdrx"))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and now, AFAICT, it is not the case.  This ’objconv’ had been removed
from the inputs list.  See commit (with the not so talkative commit
message :-))
5ef30f2a1f89397bc78af94b6ee95e9fce2f646e updating to 1.4.1.

However, on one hand this dependency seems now bundled with Julia.  See
upstream ’deps/objconv.mk’:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$(SRCCACHE)/objconv.zip: | $(SRCCACHE)
	$(JLDOWNLOAD) $@ http://www.agner.org/optimize/objconv.zip
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

On the other hand, maybe ’#:make-flags’ deactivates this; I do not know,
nothing obvious.  Julia needs some love and I will not have enough time
to dedicated to them. :-)

Cheers,
simon