Subject: 27.0.50; Emacs on XFCE session save/startup causes multiple instances of emacs to be opened
From: Quentin Jankosky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 21:20:53 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is similar to my previously submitted bug, bug#30543.

When saving and loading a desktop session in XFCE through logging in and
out, emacs will behave strangely. This may depend on virtual desktops,
but this needs testing.

1) Launch emacs in a virtual desktop.
2) Logout through XFCE (automatically saves session).
3) Log back in (automatically loads session).
ISSUE) Emacs will launch properly in whatever virtual desktop it was
saved in, but emacs will also launch on the first desktop. Closing this
wrong emacs causes another to be launched. This continues 8 or 9 times
and then it stops.

This is very annoying, and should be addressed. I will continue testing
with a single desktop to see what happens.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.32)
  of 2018-02-19 built on HyperFang
Repository revision: 071a0a571243f9498e0e58e5fe938a7b892a22db
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
  'configure --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 THREADS JSON

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair misterioso-theme edmacro kmacro
time-date mule-util finder-inf package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 182021 13420)
  (symbols 48 25571 2)
  (miscs 40 92 61)
  (strings 32 53767 2281)
  (string-bytes 1 1394426)
  (vectors 16 21432)
  (vector-slots 8 607529 10882)
  (floats 8 60 289)
  (intervals 56 212 0)
  (buffers 992 12))