Subject: Re: bug#30540: ssh: No user exists for uid 1000
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:30:44 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:06:45AM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> it looks like the glibc change when merging core-updates caused us to be
> bitten by a bug that is known on NixOS:
>    https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/31762
> 
> When I type "ssh whatever" (literally, or replacing "whatever" by a real
> server name), then the error message
>    No user exists for uid 1000
> is printed and the ssh command is not executed.

The issue is that glibc 2.26 deprecated the "compat" query type of the
Name Service Switch.

We discussed this previously in <https://bugs.gnu.org/30298>.

One can adjust to the change by either using the nscd daemon [0] or
editing /etc/nsswitch.conf and replacing instances of 'compat' with
'files'.

On Debian Stretch, I found that `apt-get install nscd` was sufficient.

I'm going to merge this report with #30298.

[0] We already "strongly recommend" using nscd:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Name-Service-Switch-1