Subject: Re: bug#30157: texlive-20170524-texmf.tar.xz' failed: 410, "Gone"
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:22:34 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Téléchargement de « https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/guix/nar/5rnvmy02yazy8iwaa91kijbbqp8qmflz-texlive-20170524-texmf.tar.xz »...
> guix substitute: error: download from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/guix/nar/5rnvmy02yazy8iwaa91kijbbqp8qmflz-texlive-20170524-texmf.tar.xz' failed: 410, "Gone"

Fixed by simply letting it through:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/commit/?id=8859af255f4041f90f630094c6ec81227b554904

However note that it’s a 2.2 GiB file.  I think it’s OK for hydra to
serve it, in particular because ‘guix publish’ does almost no processing
on that file since it’s already compressed.  So the only cost is
bandwidth.

(The ‘texlive-texmf’ binary remains unavailable on hydra because it’s
marked as non-substitutable.)

Other options that came to mind were:

  1. Mark the texlive-texmf source derivation as non-substitutable,
     which would have required fiddling with ‘url-fetch’ to pass
     #:substitutable? #f to ‘raw-derivation’.  Everyone would have
     downloaded from the upstream FTP site.

  2. Add a ‘--hide=.*texlive-texmf*’ option to ‘guix publish’, which
     would prevent it from publishing narinfos for store items that
     match the regexp.

Ludo’.