Subject: Re: bug#30093: Installing python-ipython breaks Gnome on Fedora.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:50:46 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

[email-masked] <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I see people mentioning here that there doesn't seem to be a general
> solution to be included in Guix for this, but I als do not understand
> what the particular solution (for my machine, for example) is supposed
> to be.
> I'm a new user to Guix and also not technically very experienced with
> Linux OS's, so feel free to point me out something obvious I have
> missed.
>
> I currently have Guix on top of Ubuntu 20.04, and I have this exact
> problem with XDG_DATA_DIRS being exported on startup of Gnome and
> breaking it, and i happend when this variable is added to
> ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile when installing certain packages; the ones
> detected so far where python-ipython, python-ipykernel and
> python-notebook.

That's been fixed in guix-install.sh with
23aafc800c9e678662766440916449ec5bbce830 from Philip McGrath (thanks!):
"etc/guix-install.sh: Initialize XDG base directories."

I've confirmed it fixes the original problem, which was that installing
'python-ipython' would break a GDM login to GNOME on Fedora, by
installing the latest Guix via guix-install.sh on a Fedora 33 VM I had
laying around, then 'guix install python-ipython', logout, then re-login
without an issue.

Closing!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim