Subject: Compilation error on git master: `gzip: unbound variable`
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "bug-guix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 20:10:07 +0000 (GMT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Architecture: x86_64

RAM: 4GB

Filesystem: EXT4

Guile version: 2.0.11

Guile-Git (Guile module) was manually compiled and installed by me from
https://gitlab.com/guile-git/guile-git

Operating system: Slackware 14.2

`uname -a` output: Linux slack 4.4.88 #2 SMP Thu Sep 14 14:21:06 CDT 2017
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Compilation failure when running `make` (after running `./bootstrap` and
`./configure`) in latest git master and in latest source release tarball:
'In procedure memoize-variable-access!: gzip: unbound variable'

Full output (error is at line 172): http://paste.debian.net/1001510

My IRC username on freenode is pkill9, I am often in the #guix room on
freenode.

IRC chatlog for reference:

  2017-12-19 16:39:05 pkill9 I'm getting an error while compiling Guix,
  It
  says 'In procedure memoize-variable-access!: gzip: unbound variable'.
  Full output here: https://pastebin.com/wiNSZvXT
  2017-12-19 16:39:15 pkill9 anyone know what this means?
  2017-12-19 16:40:15 civodul pkill9: this was reported a couple of
  times
  before and i think it's been fixed (?)
  2017-12-19 16:40:26 pkill9 oh interesting
  2017-12-19 16:40:38 civodul can you paste to another site BTW, like
  paste.debian.net, which allows Tor users to access it
  2017-12-19 16:40:42 pkill9 ok
  2017-12-19 16:42:37 pkill9 http://paste.debian.net/1001510/
  2017-12-19 16:43:09 pkill9 I downloaded the source from the Guix
  downlaod
  page
  2017-12-19 16:46:24 pkill9 civodul: has the fix been added to the
  source
  downloadable from the download page?
  2017-12-19 16:46:51 pkill9 as in on this page
  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/download/
  2017-12-19 16:47:03 pkill9 under 'GNU Guix 0.14.0 Source'
  2017-12-19 16:47:09 pkill9 in the tarball
  2017-12-19 16:47:28 pkill9 or is it very new and not yet been added
  to
  that?
  2017-12-19 16:51:18 bavier pkill9: iirc it was a more recent fix
  2017-12-19 17:02:20 civodul yes, it's in master i think
  2017-12-19 17:02:47 civodul though i still can't remember what that
  was,
  which is kinda annoying
  2017-12-19 18:57:21 lfam pkill9: From commit
  9a56cf2b5b4970843c215091ea9823a67e077310, the error is not
  reproduced.
  2017-12-19 19:08:54 pkill9 hmm i tried compiling with that commit
  (downloaded the tar.gz from
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=9a56cf2b5b4970843c215091ea9823a67e077310)
  and i still get that error
  2017-12-19 19:14:24 lfam pkill9: What is `guix --version`?
  2017-12-19 19:14:51 pkill9 i don't have it installed, that's why i'm
  compiling it
  2017-12-19 19:15:19 lfam How are you providing the dependencies?
  2017-12-19 19:15:39 pkill9 oh, slackware
  2017-12-19 19:16:03 lfam Okay, and what is the CPU architecture, how
  much
  RAM is there, what filesystem are you compiling on, any other details
  that might be relevant?
  2017-12-19 19:16:11 lfam Also the kernel version
  2017-12-19 19:17:18 pkill9 x86_64, about 4GB ram, EXT4 filesystem,
  kernel
  4.4.88
  2017-12-19 19:18:28 lfam pkill9: Okay, that all sounds good. What
  version
  of Guile are you using?
  2017-12-19 19:18:42 pkill9 2.0.11
  2017-12-19 19:20:05 lfam Okay, sounds like this should all work. If
  you
  don't get any other answer here, please compile all this information
  into
  a bug report and send it to <[email-masked]>, first searching for
  previous reports of
  this issue