Subject: company-minimum-prefix-length
From: Frederik Beaujean <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:11:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear auctex developers,

I'm using auctex with the company completion system. The problem is that

company-minimum-prefix-length

is ignored in tex files. This is annoying when typesetting math with the
usual single-character symbols like |i| or |n| because I have to press
C-g multiple times to turn of the completion overlay.

I had initially posted this issue on github with spacemacs and
company-auctex, it affects several people as well

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/9388

https://github.com/alexeyr/company-auctex/issues/18

The root of the problems seems this code in auctex/tex.el in v11.91

|;; By default, company completions kick in after a prefix of 3 chars has
;; been typed. Since we don't have too many completions, that's too ;;
much. (set (make-local-variable 'company-minimum-prefix-length) 1))) |

|I don't |understand the explanation given for creating this local
variable. I request that it be removed or done in such a way that it
doesn't override global user settings.

bye

Fred
||