Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] licenses: Add VOSTROM.
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 01:33:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> +(define vostrom
> +  (license "VOSTROM"
> +           "https://pwhois.org/license.who"
> +           "Copyleft free software license from the Prefix WhoIs project"))

I took a closer look at this license and have decided that it's not fit
for Guix.  Here is the license in full, with comments below:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
                  VOSTROM Public License for Open Source
                                ----------
                 Copyright (c) 2006 VOSTROM Holdings, Inc.

This VOSTROM Holdings, Inc. (VOSTROM) Distribution (code and documentation) 
is made available to the open source community as a public service by VOSTROM. 
Contact VOSTROM at [email-masked] for information on other licensing 
arrangements (e.g. for use in proprietary applications).

Under this license, this Distribution may be modified and the original 
version and modified versions may be copied, distributed, publicly displayed 
and performed provided that the following conditions are met:

1.  Modified versions are distributed with source code and documentation and 
with permission for others to use any code and documentation (whether in 
original or modified versions) as granted under this license;

2.  if modified, the source code, documentation, and user run-time elements 
should be clearly labeled by placing an identifier of origin (such as a name, 
initial, or other tag) after the version number;

3.  users, modifiers, distributors, and others coming into possession or 
using the Distribution in original or modified form accept the entire risk 
as to the possession, use, and performance of the Distribution;

4.  this copyright management information (software identifier and version 
number, copyright notice and license) shall be retained in all versions of 
the Distribution;

5.  VOSTROM may make modifications to the Distribution that are 
substantially similar to modified versions of the Distribution, and may 
make, use, sell, copy, distribute, publicly display, and perform such 
modifications, including making such modifications available under this or 
other licenses, without obligation or restriction;

6.  modifications incorporating code, libraries, and/or documentation subject 
to any other open source license may be made, and the resulting work may be 
distributed under the terms of such open source license if required by that 
open source license, but doing so will not affect this Distribution, other 
modifications made under this license or modifications made under other 
VOSTROM licensing arrangements;

7.  no permission is granted to distribute, publicly display, or publicly 
perform modifications to the Distribution made using proprietary materials 
that cannot be released in source format under conditions of this license;

8.  the name of VOSTROM may not be used in advertising or publicity 
pertaining to Distribution of the software without specific, prior written 
permission.

This software is made available "as is", and

VOSTROM DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH REGARD TO THIS 
SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF 
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND IN NO EVENT SHALL 
VOSTROM BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY 
DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN 
ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR STRICT LIABILITY, ARISING 
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Section 1-2 seems to imply "copyleft" and 3-4 are pretty straightforward.

Section 5 contains an odd "copyforward" clause, in that VOSTROM Holdings
reserves the right to redistribute modified versions under different
terms.  That defeats copyleft entirely, though I'm not sure if it makes
it non-free.

6 is weird, but probably OK.

Not sure how I missed 7 initially, but placing restrictions on the tools
you can use to hack on the software certainly does not read like free
software to me :-( I blame the legalese.

At least I've learned to check Debian before submitting a new license.

Sorry Guix, no LFT for you this time.